tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Link type FlexRay

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2016 17:50:32 -0800

On Jan 19, 2016, at 9:35 AM, Guenter Ebermann <guenter.ebermann () googlemail com> wrote:

I asked Hannes about DLT_FLEXRAY.
He told me that they currently dont use pcap for FlexRay and have only
used it in a limited scenario and that we are free to change the
layout.
The format represented the bitsream from the bus 1:1 without an
additional header.
The only deviation was the padding: the data was padded to align to 4
byte boundaries.

This is my suggestion for an extension:

I want to extend the frame by a "measurement-header": This header is
added by the measurement device. It contains one bit for the FlexRay
channel (A or B), a "data-type" enumeration and error-flags.

OK, so the new format is that the frame begins with a measurement header, which is followed by the bitstream from the
bus?

Is the bitstream from the bus padded in that fashion?

From the Wikipedia article on FlexRay (the first of the ISO standards the article mentions costs CHF 118, so I'm not
going to buy them immediately):

        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FlexRay

a frame consists of some framing bits at each end of the frame, with each octet in the frame containing 2 bits of
per-byte framing followed by the 8 bits of the octet.  Would LINKTYPE_FLEXRAY/DLT_FLEXRAY frames include all of those
bits?  If so, where does the padding appear?