tcpdump mailing list archives

Copyright issue with the LICENSE file.

From: Daniel Leicht <daniel.leicht () gmail com>
Date: Sun, 21 Feb 2016 16:11:08 +0200

Hi,

I am considering the use of libpcap in a project of mine, and proceeded to
verify the license in the github source repository. It seems to be a
standard BSD 3-clause license, except that it is missing the copyright
details (which are usually the first two lines in the BSD license).

This means that the license asks you to mention/retain the copyright
details "above" , but there are no copyright details "above".

I am not sure what are the legal implications on the license in this case,
but I think that to make it correct, clean and simple, the copyright
details should be added to the LICENSE file.

Suggestion for the two lines to add at the beginning of the LICENSE file
(based on other BSD3C examples):

Copyright (c) 2010-2016 Tcpdump/Libpcap
All rights reserved.

Thanks,