tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: how many stable branches to have

From: Francois-Xavier Le Bail <devel.fx.lebail () orange fr>
Date: Wed, 03 Jun 2015 20:12:03 +0200

On 26/05/2015 15:33, Michal Sekletar wrote:
On 05/26/2015 11:46 AM, Francois-Xavier Le Bail wrote:
I propose this:
We could give an "End of Life" date for each release branches.
This mean that after this date, the tcpdump group would not update any
more the branch.

Having clearly defined EoL is a good idea. However I think that some
releases should be picked and supported for longer periods of time.

In the previous examples, I had given EoL dates allowing to have a lifetime of support about two years.

If it is not enough, a version, every two years approximately, could have a superior lifetime, by example four years.
The first one of theses long-term versions could be the 1.7/4.7 ones.

What do you think about it?