tcpdump mailing list archives

odd issue with Linux VLAN interface

From: Denis Ovsienko <denis () ovsienko info>
Date: Wed, 28 Jan 2015 00:09:45 +0000

List,

some time ago I did troubleshooting on a Linux PC and that involved running tcpdump with the "not tcp" filter on a few
network interfaces to put a number of background TCP connections out of scope (I was interested how other protocols'
packets were making from one interface to the other). At some point I had realized that tcpdump was printing TCP
packets _only_ and no other protocols (again, the filter was "not tcp"). Later I figured it out how to reproduce the
problem but not the cause of it.

The host has an Ethernet interface with only an IPv6 link-local address (eth0). On top of it there is a VLAN interface
with VID 75 (eth0.75), IPv6 link-local address and IPv4 address 10.0.75.254/24. The difference is, when tcpdump runs
with "-i eth0.75", it works as expected and displays ARP and, for instance, UDP from/to the network 10.0.75.0/24. When
run with "-i eth0", it displays only TCP from/to network 10.0.75.0. This looks wrong in two ways as the tagged packets
should not appear on the bearing interface in the first place and even if they appear there the filter should exclude
them, but instead of this it excludes all the other packets.

This is the latest build of tcpdump on kernel 3.13.0-44-generic #73-Ubuntu SMP. Not sure if I will get to find the
reason myself, but if anybody sees this as a duplicate of or an additional input for one of the known bugs, please let
me know.

--
 Denis Ovsienko