tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: DLTs for Z-Wave

From: Joshua Wright <jwright () hasborg com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2014 12:54:06 -0400

Hearing no questions, is there anything more I can do to get this request authorized?

Thank you,

-Josh

On Sep 6, 2014, at 6:35 AM, Joshua Wright <jwright () hasborg com> wrote:

I request two DLTs for Z-Wave packet captures based on the ITU-T
Recommendation G.9959 (http://www.itu.int/rec/T-REC-G.9959).

My packet capture tool has support for three Z-Wave RF profiles
(sometimes called "channel configurations"):

R1 - 9.6 Kbps (908.42 North America, 868.42 Europe)
R2 - 40 Kbps (908.4, 868.4)
R3 - 100 Kbps (916, 869.85)

The MAC format for R1 and R2 Z-Wave networks is identical, but the R3
MAC is different with additional fields and different bit mask
definitions.  Unfortunately, there is no version or other indicator in
the MAC frame to indicate if the packet is R1, R2, or R3. A decoding
tool (e.g. Wireshark) needs an indicator as to the RF profile in use
to properly decode the packet capture.

I believe this MAC behavior warrants two DLT's for Z-Wave: one DLT for
R1/R2 packets, and a second DLT for R3 packets.

Are there any questions I can answer to justify this request?

Thank you,

-Josh
--
Joshua Wright