tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump and libpcap releases, and future thoughts

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Sep 2014 16:59:39 -0700

On Sep 3, 2014, at 4:44 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca> wrote:

My logic is that if we have the switch/env-var to force libpcap to use a
particular method, that permits not only benchmarking, but also isolation of
bugs easier.

OK, I'd vote for an environment variable, so as not to

        1) add a new API that would implement platform-specific behavior (which would encourage people to use it,
rather than getting the underlying problems fixed);

        2) require that programs *using* libpcap add code to use that API and provide UI to specify platform-dependent
options to control the capture mechanism.

Hopefully the environment variable will also be annoying enough to use that people will report problems such as the
TPACKET_V3 problems and, if they require OS fixes, put pressure on developers to get them fixed, rather than having
tweaking capture options such as that being "the new normal".