tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: select()ing on a pcap descriptor in Solaris

From: Fernando Gont <fernando () gont com ar>
Date: Thu, 14 Aug 2014 18:09:12 -0400

Hi, Guy,

On 08/14/2014 06:01 PM, Guy Harris wrote:

On Aug 14, 2014, at 1:34 PM, Fernando Gont <fernando () gont com ar>
wrote:

While trying to select() on a pcap descriptor in solaris

Which version?  Solaris 11 (in which pcap descriptors should refer to
BPF devices), or earlier (in which pcap descriptors should refer to
DLPI STREAMS devices)?

fgont@solaris:~/ipv6toolkit$ uname -a
SunOS solaris 5.11 11.1 i86pc i386 i86pc

I found the following:

1) It seems that pcap descriptors are never readable or writeable.
(-- This is different from *BSD and Linux, where at least you seem
to be able to check for readability)

2) It would seem that even trying to select() on such descriptors
causes trouble. For example, I get a kind of random "Bad file
number" error from select when I try to check for
readability/writeability.

I wouldn't expect that prior to Solaris 11 - select() and poll() Just
Work on STREAMS devices, as I remember.

You wouldn't expect them to fail, or to work properly?

It could, however, be that Sun^WOracle screwed up with BPF;
unfortunately, Solaris 11 is ClosedSolaris, so I can't just look at
the source and see what they did wrong.

Seems like a long time since I last installed it... But I could try with
the CD they released circa 2009 -- that one was open source.

I'll try this on my Solaris 11 virtual machine.

Is the above assessment correct? Should I not even try to call
select() on pcap descriptors in Solaris?

If they screwed up on Solaris 11, you probably shouldn't try to call
select(); instead, you should try to call Oracle and report this as a
bug (and tell them that, if they fix this, they should fix it so that
if you have a timeout set with BIOCSRTIMEOUT, the timer should start
as soon as a select() or poll() is done, so that, when the timeout
expires, it can report the descriptor as readable - the original BPF
didn't do that, and all the *BSDs and OS X eventually fixed it).

Point noted. I'll wait for your response above, and will proceed as
indicated if necessary.

Thanks so much (yet one more time)!

Best regards,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando () gont com ar || fgont () si6networks com