tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: building libpcap without usb support

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2014 17:51:41 -0700

On Jul 6, 2014, at 2:25 PM, Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca> wrote:

Romain Francoise <romain () orebokech com> wrote:
<linux/usbdevice_fs.h> is a kernel header; does USB sniffing require
libusb-dev at all?

Nope. libusb is only required for canusb support.

Ah, that's a bit confusing.

There is a --disable-canusb, I think, so I'll try building libpcap
with that option, which ought to eliminate needing to link with -lusb.
I wonder if canusb sniffing is sufficiently rare, and forcing people
to have libusb-dev around is sufficiently annoying that we should
turn that off by default.

I've changed the configure script in the trunk and the 1.6 branch so that, instead of looking for the header, it checks
whether it can build, with -lusb-1.0, a program that calls libusb_init().

See if that fixes the problem.