tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [libpcap] [Patch] rpcap:// support (#266)

From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Mon, 26 May 2014 10:04:01 -0400

Guy Harris <notifications () github com> wrote:
    > Note also that there will be a configure-script option to enable this, with the
    > default being "no". Enabling remote capture increases the attack surface of an
    > application using libpcap, as it would receive messages from a
    > not-necessarily-trusted remote host; the code to parse them needs to be very
    > careful. The code should, ideally, run without elevated privileges when it's
    > trying to open a remote capture source, as that's not needed, and, if you're
    > going to have a bigger attack surface, you don't want to run with elevated
    > privileges.

Potentially, running rpcap:// over localhost may be a way to reduce need for
elevated priviledges.

Do you expect "tcpdump" to be the program run at the remote end, or will it
be something else?

    > The stuff I'm working on has a table of URL schemes and routines to handle
    > them, so that it could be extended to handle protocols other than rpcap. For
    > example, there could be "tcpdump+ssh", i.e. "ssh over to the remote machine and
    > run tcpdump", and there's a protocol that Wireshark dissects, in which some
    > 802.11 APs (Cisco and somebody else) send out packets over UDP - Wildpackets'
    > OmniPeek handles it directly, and it'd be nice if tcpdump/*Shark/etc. could do
    > so as well.

Yes to "tcpdump+ssh" URL...

--
]     mcr () sandelman ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [