tcpdump mailing list archives

Updating libpcap and tcpdump in Android Open Source Platform (AOSP)

From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2014 12:04:16 -0800 (PST)

{this is a resend. I don't see my email in the android-platform online
archives}

Hi, I'm aka mcr at tcpdump.org, and getting tcpdump in AOSP updated to the
latest has been on my list for awhile.
It's been two years since I last did much Android build work, so it took me
a few days to get a build VM going again.
I checked out a copy of kitkat, built it, and proceeded to extract the
Android patches from external/libpcap and external/tcpdump.

Those trees were originally imported in 2007 from the CVS trees at the
time... the Tcpdump project has since moved to git, and
has imported our old releases in as well.  I checked out our 0.9.8
(libpcap) and 3.9.8 branches, and then did a bit of diff and patching.
I removed the spurious CVS $Id stuff, and then adapted the Android.mk
slightly.  I have not yet decided what to do about disuse
of bison/flex for libpcap, I propose to leave the generated files there
now, and fix this once Android is on libpcap 1.5 (1.6 will come out in two
weeks, during IETF89 week).

Gerritt won't let me repo upload my merged tree, as it includes much code
from others, and naturally those email addresses are not
valid for me.  I am seeking advice here --- I originally merged in the
Android branch into my tree to keep common ancestry, but really that
tree has little value, and I'd rather do a git push -f if the community
accepts that.  You can see the merged trees at:

https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/libpcap/tree/android-libpcap-0.9.8
https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump/tree/android-tcpdump-3.9.8

there are some warnings about variables which are likely fixed in tcpdump
4.5/libpcap-1.5, but it compiles and links properly.

Some commits which likely are most interesting:
https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump/commit/02d222b008e130867d44fc1501ccee1aa27a8d8e
https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/tcpdump/commit/11bcf04c31e63867632732d4732e76e203d34073
https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/libpcap/commit/56deb7c250d306650df7bf1788754e2e5d805cfc
https://github.com/the-tcpdump-group/libpcap/commit/91f35ab90101db7c204fb8dc8dfb54729a4c34ee

Replacing the 0.9.8/3.9.8 imports is what I call step one.
I will be cherry-picking the changes to make that tree work on Android into
the libpcap/tcpdump master
branch, and then verifying that it compiles and works.  I don't know how
that will interact with repo, given
that I can't use repo upload on what I have so far.

Please advise.

this is what repo upload says to me:
remote: ERROR:  In commit b11ddf8a9b0d30bf759abf01afcf2894e79857b1
remote: ERROR:  committer email address mcr
remote: ERROR:  does not match your user account.
remote: ERROR: