tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Two DLT Requests For Bluetooth RF Captures

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2014 16:46:30 -0800

On Feb 14, 2014, at 12:18 PM, Chris Kilgour <techie () whiterocker com> wrote:

I'd like to request two LINKTYPE/DLT allocations for RF Bluetooth Captures, with the details described here [2].

What is the "nanosecond offset to pcap timestamp"?  pcap-ng lets you specify the resolution of time stamps, and even
pcap lets you, at least with newer versions of libpcap and Wireshark, specify nanosecond resolution with a different
magic number.

To conform with the practices of the pcap devs, I'd be happy to modify the description at [2] for correctness and
style/format, or for example to translate the format descriptions into the style used at [1].

Translating them into the style in the pages under http://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes would be helpful.  It avoids
worrying about C/C-derived-language data structure names - or anything *else* about C and languages derived from it -
and also makes it easier to add the link-layer header type to the Web site.

Assuming the DLT allocations move ahead, does one then submit a patch with both the new DLTs and pseudoheaders?

No.

Or do the pcap devs update pcap/bpf.h independently?

Yes.

You may, if you wish, supply C-language structures for the pseudoheaders in header files to include in the pcap
directory; it's helpful, but not a requirement.