tcpdump mailing list archives

pcap_findalldevs

From: Hei Chan <structurechart () yahoo com>
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 02:10:11 -0800 (PST)

Hi,

I am new to libpcap, and I am trying to use the following to get the list of network devices available to libpcap by
calling pcap_findalldevs().

Manpage mentions, "there may be network devices that cannot be  opened  by  the process  calling pcap_findalldevs(3),
because, for example, that process does not have sufficient privileges to open them for capturing; if  so, those
devices will not appear on the list".

What does "sufficient privileges" mean?  If I run the process as sudoer, it sounds like there shouldn't be any
privilege issue.  What else will prevent pcap_findalldevs() from returning a network device on the list?

Thanks in advance.