tcpdump mailing list archives

vlan handling

From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Sun, 30 Mar 2014 18:17:35 -0400

{For reasons I do not understand, yahoo.com doesn't even attempt to deliver
email from Shoham to tcpdump.org. There is simply no connections in the
logs of the spam filter system...}

From Shoham:

   Haven't got the time to get to it. I intend to, soon.

   2 questions (that are very related to each-other) to check that my work
   won't be for nothing:

   1) How do you think we should document the new vlan-filter handling?
   The documentation today states:
       Note that the first vlan keyword encountered in expression changes
   the decoding offsets for the remainder of expression on
       the assumption that the packet is a VLAN packet. The vlan [vlan_id]
   expression may be used more than once, to filter on
       VLAN hierarchies. Each use of that expression increments the filter
   offsets by 4.

   After the pull, It'll be harder to explain why "vlan or ip and udp"
   works but "(vlan or ip) and udp" doesn't.

   How do you think it should be documented?

   Do you think we should explain the whole algorithm, so the user can
   understand the exact behavior, or is it too complicated for the average
   user?

   If not, How do you think it should be documented?

   2) The new logic would require deep understanding of the new algorithm
   to know the difference between "(vlan 1 or vlan 2) and ip", "(vlan 1 or
   ether) and ip" and "vlan and ip", and why some of them don't work.

   Say I have this pull request ready for you today, are you OK with
   expecting the users to understand the vlan-filtering algorithm so good?

   Will you even take this pull request?

   I'm trying to make time to fix this bug and give you a pull request -
   I'll be happy to know first that my work won't be for nothing.
   Thanks,
       Shoham