tcpdump mailing list archives

Different/Same queue used for promiscuous capture on ethernet ?

From: abhinav narain <abhinavnarain10 () gmail com>
Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2013 10:20:43 -0700

Hi Everyone,
I am doing a packet capture on 480 MHz router on ethernet interface using
pcap and see packet drops for anything greater than 50-60 Mbps.

My question is following :
Does pcap (and hence the kernel) create a new queue for all the packets in
the promiscuous or is it collecting all packets in the same/default queue
attached to the interface eth0 ?

I am asking above question because I want to know if the router starts
dropping packets destined to itself because of this promiscuous mode
capture?

I think 480 MHz is quite good processor, it is hard for me to believe that
there is  packet drops in queues.
Router used :
http://support.netgear.com/product/WNDR3700v2

Thanks,