tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: capturing packets with identical MAC for source and destination

From: "Lentes, Bernd" <bernd.lentes () helmholtz-muenchen de>
Date: Tue, 3 Sep 2013 17:49:49 +0200

Gisle wrote:

"Lentes, Bernd" <bernd.lentes () helmholtz-muenchen de> wrote:

I'd like to capture all packets which have the same
MAC-address for sender and destination.
But i don't know the MAC which is causing these messages.
So i have to use an universal filter.
I tried to use "tcpdump 'ether[8:6] = ether[14:6]'".
Beginning with byte 8 is the destination MAC
and beginning with byte 14 is the source MAC.
And each MAC has the size of 6 bytes.
But i got this message: "tcpdump: data size must be 1, 2,
or 4". Is there a way to capture the desired 6 bytes ?

I think you'll have to split up in 2 checks. 1 for 4 bytes
and 1 for 2 bytes.
Something like:
  tcpdump -d "(ether[8:4]=ether[14:4]) && (ether[12:2]=ether[18:2])"

Hi,

this seems to be smart. I will try that.

Bernd

Helmholtz Zentrum München
Deutsches Forschungszentrum für Gesundheit und Umwelt (GmbH)
Ingolstädter Landstr. 1
85764 Neuherberg
www.helmholtz-muenchen.de
Aufsichtsratsvorsitzende: MinDir´in Bärbel Brumme-Bothe
Geschäftsführer: Prof. Dr. Günther Wess Dr. Nikolaus Blum Dr. Alfons Enhsen
USt-IdNr: DE 129521671