tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: [tcpdump] tcpdump-4.4.0 installs duplicate binaries (#330)

From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:45:26 -0400

tjackson <notifications () github com> wrote:
    > Basically, I'd like to bump the version of tcpdump in my distro and at
    > the same time remove the versioned binary, but I wanted to check
    > upstream that this is okay to do and won't cause any problems, such as
    > something hard-coded in some way. As I said, some other distros do this
    > but I haven't found a single thread involving upstream about it.

Of course, you are free to do anything you like on your system.
I don't think that debian or redhat install the versioned binary.
I don't see how the versioned binary hurts anything, other than consuming
disk space.  If it's disk space that is the issue, then remove it.

--
]     mcr () sandelman ca  http://www.sandelman.ca/        |   ruby on rails    [