tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: libpcap for windows

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2013 23:28:20 -0700

On Aug 17, 2013, at 9:14 PM, Phoebe K <kphoebe88 () gmail com> wrote:

I am trying to use SILK/YAF and it needs libpcap. I downloaded wireshark
and hence lwpcap, but silk is still complaining that it cannot find libpcap.

How do I build libpcap for windows (Cygwin)?

You can't; it's not supported.  Libpcap expects the OS to provide a packet capture mechanism for it to use, and Windows
doesn't provide one.

libpcap-for-Windows is WinPcap; it includes drivers to provide a packet capture mechanism.

CERT only seems to provide SiLK in source-code form:

        http://tools.netsa.cert.org/silk/download.html

They mention Cygwin here:

        http://tools.netsa.cert.org/silk/index.html

It presumably uses WinPcap on Cygwin; to build a program that uses WinPcap, you need the WinPcap developer's pack:

        http://www.winpcap.org/devel.htm

in addition to the WinPcap binaries.