tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Link-Layer Header Type request for Linux Kernel Messages

From: <Michal.Labedzki () tieto com>
Date: Wed, 15 May 2013 14:06:53 +0300

Hi,

I guess area what I am working blur the boundaries of existing tools. So what about feature? (maybe it is time to
little extend tool boundary)
Linux Kernel Messages and Android Logs are similar to "syslog", ok, but think about wide perspective.

The question are:
1. What can be supported by libpcap, but what cannot be. (~ we need one tool or two/infinite number of tools)
2. kmsg/syslog seems to be helper for other payloads analyse, so why it cannot be keep together? (for example: kernel
close data socket, we know that from kernel logs and see that in protocol payloads)
3. Should I think about new tool? (On the other hand - my ideas should not completely break your tool or primary
intention and should not disturb anyone)
4. kmsg seems to be regular interface, we can treat log as packet (or packet as log!), compute received, dropped, etc.

PS. If all logs are in pcap (kernel, application logs [syslog/logcat], networks payloads  (Internet, Bluetooth, NFC,
DBus, etc...)  ), than user can simply send it to developer, and we do not need syslog anymore.

Pozdrawiam / Best regards
Michał Łabędzki, Software Engineer
Tieto Corporation
Product Engineering Services
http://www.tieto.com / http://www.tieto.pl
---
ASCII: Michal Labedzki
e-mail: michal.labedzki () tieto com
location: Swobodna 1 Street, 50-088 Wrocław, Poland
room: 5.01 (desk next to 5.08)
---
Please note: The information contained in this message may be legally privileged and confidential and protected from
disclosure. If the reader of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any unauthorised
use, distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this communication in
error, please notify us immediately by replying to the message and deleting it from your computer. Thank You.
---
---
Tieto Poland spółka z ograniczoną odpowiedzialnością z siedzibą w Szczecinie, ul. Malczewskiego 26. Zarejestrowana w
Sądzie Rejonowym Szczecin-Centrum w Szczecinie, XIII Wydział Gospodarczy Krajowego Rejestru Sądowego pod numerem
0000124858. NIP: 8542085557. REGON: 812023656. Kapitał zakładowy: 4 271500 PLN