tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: tcpdump vs libpcap : CPU usage shooting high for two simultaneous captures on wireless monitor interfaces

From: abhinav narain <abhinavnarain10 () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2013 22:11:51 -0400

Thanks for replying on this, as I am actually helpless on this issue for
days now.

As you're saying "libpcap" rather than WinPcap, I'm assuming this is some
flavor of UN*X, such as Linux.

 You are right, its running 2.6.32 on OpenWrt.

Could you build a profiled version of your tool (compile with "-pg") and
then run gprof on the tool and the gmon.out file it produces when it exits?
 That should show you *where* the CPU time is being spent.

This means that the program has to eventually exit cleanly - you can't
interrupt it with, for example, ^C unless it catches SIGINT and exits,
otherwise it'll fail to write out the gmon.out file.

This might also be tricky if you cross-compile the tool to run on the
router, and the router doesn't have gprof installed - you might have to
have a version of gprof capable of analyzing executable files and gmon.out
files from the router.

This is the trickiest part, as I haven't found profiling tools for OpenWrt.
I am curious to know if tcpdump does something
interesting to deal with such situation (I dint find anything
when I last read the code..couple of months back)

Am I right to say that the two processes spin on some shared resource ?

-
Abhinav