tcpdump mailing list archives

Latency impact while listening at eth0, lo and any on Linux

From: Sergey Gomanyuk <Sergey.Gomanyuk () amdocs com>
Date: Mon, 17 Jun 2013 10:15:16 +0000

Hello,

I use pcap library to develop a tool that measures on the fly network latency (a time between receiving a request and
sending a response) for HTTP, DIAMETER and other protocols. My tool is compiled for x86_64 Linux , So I noticed
significant latency growing if my tool listening traffic at 'any' interface in compare with listening at 'eth0'.
Listening at 'lo' also increases latency.

So I wander why does latency increase and can I do something to reduce latency impact while capturing traffic at 'any'
or 'lo' interfaces?

Regards,
Sergey Gomanyuk

This message and the information contained herein is proprietary and confidential and subject to the Amdocs policy
statement,