tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for new pcap/pcapng DLT Format

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2013 17:34:58 -0700

On Jun 13, 2013, at 12:07 PM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

It's not a show-stopper - we can just document them as containing a time stamp but note that it's redundant with the
time stamp in pcap and pcap-ng files, and say that the time stamp from the pcap packet record header or the pcap-ng
packet block header should be used and the time stamp in the packet header should be ignored.

Given that I've already checked in a LINKTYPE_/DLT_ value of 250, and assigned a value of 251 for Bluetooth Low
Energy air interface link-layer packets, we might as well stick with the existing format, with a "time stamp is
redundant, don't use it" note.

OK, I've checked in and pushed an update to the link-layer types page; it should show up on the tcpdump.org Web site in
24 to 48 hours.