tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request new DLT value for Infiniband link

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2012 12:03:56 -0800

On Nov 11, 2012, at 4:53 AM, Oren Kladnitsky <orenk () mellanox com> wrote:

I'd like to request a new DLT/LINKTYPE value for Infiniband traffic (DLT_INFINIBAND).
Infiniband spec is available at:
http://members.infinibandta.org/kwspub/spec/V1r1_2_1.Release_12062007.zip
(registration required).

See "Chapter 5.: Data packet format" for the packet layout. LRH (Local Route Header) is the first header of all data
packets.

Wireshark already has support for Infiniband dissection (epan/dissectors/packet-infiniband.c) under encap of DLT_ERF.

I'd like Infiniband to have a dedicated DLT for future pcapng support which does not require the ERF encapsulation.

OK, I've added LINKTYPE_INFINIBAND and DLT_INFINIBAND, with a value of 247.  The list of link-layer header types at

        http://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html

should update in 24 hours or so; the description is "Raw InfiniBand frames, starting with the Local Routing Header, as
specified in Chapter 5 "Data packet format" of InfiniBand™ Architectural Specification Release 1.2.1 Volume 1 - General
Specifications.", with "InfiniBand™ Architectural Specification Release 1.2.1 Volume 1 - General Specifications"
linking to the URL you gave.