tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Decoding the unencrypted part(s) of SSL/TLS?

From: Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com>
Date: Tue, 11 Dec 2012 09:17:26 -0800

On 12/11/2012 05:58 AM, Wesley Shields wrote:
On Mon, Dec 10, 2012 at 11:38:29PM -0500, Michael Richardson wrote:

"Rick" == Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com> writes:
     Rick> Is there a version of tcpdump in the works which will decode
     Rick> the unecrypted
     Rick> portions of an SSL/TLS session?  Or do I need to look
     Rick> elsewhere?

Are you asking if there is a decoder for the SSL/TLS handshakes or are
you asking if there is something that will, given a private key, decrypt
the SSL?

The Client/Server Hellos are sufficient for my present purposes.

Yes/no.
You have, in general, to do TCP reassembly as TLS blocks might span TCP
segments.

Fortunately, you can use: http://www.rtfm.com/ssldump/
to do exactly that.

There are some problems with ssldump when building on newer-ish systems
(at least I think there were last time I tried to use it). If you can
get it to work it is good.

I've given it a quick try and it seems to be giving me what I need, though it may not be all that up-to-date on compression method id's. I did an apt-get so didn't have to build from source - though I may if I need to go-in and enhance its knowledge of ids.

thanks all,

rick jones