tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: incorrect tcp checksum on Linux tun interfaces?

From: Rick Jones <rick.jones2 () hp com>
Date: Tue, 04 Dec 2012 14:34:24 -0800

On 12/04/2012 02:24 PM, Gert Doering wrote:
Hi,

On Tue, Dec 04, 2012 at 11:09:43AM -0500, Michael Richardson wrote:
What's curious to me is that the chsum is not zero. If it was being
"offloaded" into a step after the PF_PACKET interface, it would be zero,
right?

I'm not sure.  I find this highly irritating, and I'm fairly sure that
*here* are the folks that have seen all the funnies when tcpdumping on
specific interfaces...

If I recall correctly, the TCP checksum is "seeded" with the pseudo-header checksum. That could be passed-down separately but I suspect it is still functionally correct if that is simply shoved into the TCP checksum field.

rick jones