tcpdump mailing list archives

SEGFAULT when using multiple "instances" of libpcap

From: Geoffrey Bugniot <g.bugniot () gmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 Jul 2012 11:36:13 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,

I have a board with a PowerPC 8270 with an embedded Linux (2.6.39.4). On that
platform, I use tcpdump and a program wich use libcap (4.1.1). Cross compiling
is done with the ELDK 5.1 toolchain.

When I launch tcpdump, it works fine. The same with my program, it works fine
too. But if I launch both at same time,  a SEGFAULT appears, and most of the
time this SEGAULT results in a kernel panic.

First of all, I thought the problem was the code in my program wich use libpcap.
So I launched two tcpdump and the problem was identical.

After more research, It appears that the SEGFAULT is raised when there is two
programs/processes (wich use libpcap) running at the same time.

I'm stucked on this problem. Is there someone who could help ?

Regards,
G.B.

PS : Is there a script for checking if libpcap is working well with his hosting
environment (Ethernet configuration, lib dependencies, etc.?

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.