tcpdump mailing list archives

"snaplen of 0" when reading pcap-ng data

From: Andrew Daviel <advax () triumf ca>
Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2012 17:12:22 -0700 (PDT)

I just built libpcap-1.2.1 and tcpdump-4.2.1 on Centos 6.2.

If I read a pcap-ng capture file from the Hone project, or one written by Wireshark 1.7.2 on XP with the default filter, I get a message "snaplen of 0 rejects all packets" and tcpdump displays no packets.

If I capture data with Wireshark with a maximum packet length of 65535, or shorter, and save it as pcapng, I can read it in tcpdump.

I can't capture data from Hone, even with -s (tcpdump -r /dev/hone -s 500)
and I can't build a Wireshark that supports pcapng on RHEL 6 (glib in latest release is too old)

Is there a way around this problem ?

--
Andrew Daviel, TRIUMF, Canada
-