tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Building tcpdump with static libraries

From: Artur Kielak <kielaka () vp pl>
Date: Mon, 28 May 2012 14:04:13 +0200

On May 27, 2012, at 11:31 PM, Artur Kielak wrote:

I think than You run older version tcpdump:

You can't use ldd to find out the version of tcpdump; you have to run "tcpdump -h" to get the version of tcpdump.

This is the answer:
libpcap.so.0.8 => /usr/lib/libpcap.so.0.8 (0x002c9000)
Linked to old version.

Just because the shared library file happens to end with ".0.8", that doesn't mean that it's version 0.8, or version
0.8.x for any value of x, of libpcap.  I don't know what distribution Ajith is using, but, for example, Debian still
calls the shared library "libpcap.so.0.8" even though it's based, presumably, on libpcap 1.1.1 in stable:

      http://packages.debian.org/stable/libs/libpcap0.8

and libpcap 1.2.1 in testing:

      http://packages.debian.org/testing/libs/libpcap0.8

and unstable:

      http://packages.debian.org/unstable/libs/libpcap0.8

and Ubuntu, being Debian-based, does the same.  Presumably the version number didn't change because the binary
interface to the library hasn't changed in a backwards-incompatible fashion for ages (new routines and other new
capabilities have been added, so the binary of an app built with a *later* shared version of the library won't work
with an *earlier* shared version of the library if they use those new routines or capabilities, but, modulo library
bugs, the binary of an app built with an *earlier* shared version of the library should work with a *later* shared
version of the library).-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.

You're right Guy :) Thank you for your comment.
I wanted to show a simple way to solve the problem Ajith on the latest dev libraries without going into details.

-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.