tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: dataset format

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 17 Jan 2012 08:52:25 -0800

On Jan 16, 2012, at 11:11 PM, rehaf drar wrote:

my project name is “creating network attack dataset to  aid security and
network researchers “ this dataset must be include specific type of network
attack
I will use pcap format  to save dataset file  and bit twist network
generator to regenerate  traffic .
i need full description of file content in pcap that we use to save dataset
of network attack.

If you mean that you need a full description of the pcap file format, then, if you have a UN*X system with a
sufficiently recent version of libpcap installed, "man pcap-savefile" will describe it, and the page at

        http://wiki.wireshark.org/Development/LibpcapFileFormat?action=show&redirect=Development_2fLibpcapFileFormat

also describes it.

As the absolute latest shiniest version of the pcap-savefile man page (which you probably don't have) and the Wireshark
Wiki page indicate, the values in the "link-layer header type field" in the file header (called "network" in the data
structure in the Wireshark Wiki page, with the comment "/* data link type */") are described by the list at

        http://www.tcpdump.org/linktypes.html-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.