tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Problems capturing packets on an interface

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Fri, 9 Mar 2012 11:34:24 -0800

On Mar 9, 2012, at 9:24 AM, António Richard Silva wrote:

Hi, I am having problems capturing some packets using tcpdump.
At the application level I am sending and receiving packets but tcpdump
does not capture any data.
There are no packets dropped by the kernel
I have tried reducing the packet data captured (-s option) to different
labels without any changed and also saving the captured packets into a file
for later inspection.
Here are the different commands performed without any result:
tcpdump -i eth0 src 10.112.42.209
tcpdump -i eth0 -s 100 -w capture_start.pcap

So the second of those two commands is the exact command you're using?  I.e., you're not using any filter whatsoever,
and just capturing all packets?

What happens with just

        tcpdump -i eth0 -w capture_start.pcap

with nothing else?