tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Libpcap for Embedded Linux and Android

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Tue, 6 Mar 2012 09:36:13 -0800

On Mar 6, 2012, at 3:18 AM, Yohannes Affandy Siregar wrote:

Can I run program using libpcap (such as tcpdump) in Embedded Linux
and Android to capture wireless packet?

If the Linux kernel on the machine in question has PF_PACKET socket support compiled into it (I think it's configured
in by default in newer kernels), and if either

        1) a libpcap shared library is built for and installed on the machine, and the program is built for the machine
and dynamically linked with libpcap

or

        2) the program is statically linked with a libpcap built for the machine

then the program should be able to be run on the machine to capture traffic.  It might require special privileges; see,
for example, the section for Linux on the page at

        http://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/CapturePrivileges-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.