tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Intel X520-SR2 not seeing packets in tcpdump

From: "Mark W. Jeanmougin" <markjx () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 1 Mar 2012 18:39:42 -0500

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:55, Charles DeVoe <scarecrow_57 () yahoo com> wrote:
I have installed an X520 card with the latest driver ixgbe 3.8.  The operating systems is CentOS 5.7.  When doing an
ifconfig I see receive packets.  I also see packets when I do an ethtool -S p1p2.  However, when I do tcpdump -i p1p2
I see no packets.  Does anyone know why this may be happening.
-

Charles,

I've got some experience with the X520 cards under various flavors of
Linux. I've always had good luck. Although, they do require a bit more
care and feeding than a Copper e1000. Can you be a bit more specific
about what you're seeing?

The other thing I'll throw out there: Do you have vlan tags set on
these packets? If so, you need to add the "vlan" option to tcpdump.
So, on mine:

tcpdump -s 0 -w outfile.pcap -C 500 -i eth4 vlan

Keep us posted.

MJ
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.