tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Missing IPv6 ICMPv6 Neighbor Solicitation with

From: Aaron Turner <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 23 Feb 2012 10:32:10 -0800

On Thu, Feb 23, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Paul Sheer <paulsheer () gmail com> wrote:
Hi there,

With promiscuous mode turned off, libpcap successfully captures
ARP requests (since they are sent to hw address ff:ff:ff:ff:ff:ff).....

However I would expect the same behavior with IPv6 ICMPv6
Neighbor Solicitation requests. These requests have the
destination HW address of 33:33:xx:xx:xx:xx (a multicast
address). I.e. I would not have thought that it be necessary
to use promiscuous mode to see the Neighbor Solicitations.

Is an IPv6 address configured on that interface?  If not, there
wouldn't be a need to listen to Neighbor Solicitations.

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic