tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Exception conditions on pcap descriptors?

From: Sam Roberts <vieuxtech () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 2011 12:41:34 -0800

On Thu, Dec 29, 2011 at 3:45 PM, Fernando Gont <fernando () gont com ar> wrote:
I'm doing I/O multiplexing by obtaining the underlying file descriptor
for the pcap_t "socket", with pcap_fileno().

I was wondering whether I should check for exceptions on such descriptor
(in addition to readability and writeability), and whether such
exceptions could possibly occur (and if so, what the possible causes of
such exceptions could be).

Socket exception checked with select aren't exceptions in the sense of
error, they are what is more commonly
called out-of-band data. Its a perpetual source of confusion. You
should only have to check for readability, if there is an error
pending on the socket it will be readable, and read/recv will return
the error.

Cheers,
Sam
-