tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: running tcpdump seems to block disk

From: Nikola Ciprich <nikola.ciprich () linuxbox cz>
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 2011 12:54:02 +0100

...that the first thing I'd do is run top to see what processes are chewing up the CPU, and if tcpdump is chewing up
a significant amount of CPU time, possibly also run strace (you say "-i any", so this is presumably Linux, and your
email address further supports that; thus, strace should be available, at least if you install it) against tcpdump to
see if it's doing anything that involves system calls and what they are.

Unfortunately, both of those involve top or strace using the CPU, so they'd have to compete with whatever's burning
up the processor.
Hello Guy,

it 's the linux, yes, x86_64 centos5 based, 2.6.32.x kernel.

I don't think CPUs are too loaded, I'll try to check it again today though (it's production machine, so I can do such
tests only during night...

here's the strace:
09:48:15.982305 setsockopt(3, SOL_PACKET, PACKET_RX_RING, "\0\0\2\0\37\0\0\0@\0\1\0\37\0\0\0", 16) = 0 <15.531056>
^^^ here it hangs
09:48:32.050796 mmap(NULL, 4063232, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE, MAP_SHARED, 3, 0) = 0x7fdd92457000 <0.000298>

will it help somehow?

n.

--
Ing. Nikola CIPRICH