tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Influence of pcap_open_live parameters on pcap_sendpacket

From: Aaron Turner <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 16 Aug 2011 08:21:46 -0700

On Tue, Aug 16, 2011 at 5:10 AM, Doktor Bernd <doktorbernd () hotmail com> wrote:

Hi,

I am trying to optimize my program by adjusting the parameters of pcap_open_live().

In my program, I am opening the same interface twice and use one handle in a thread for capturing packets and the
other handle in a second thread for writing

Two questions:
- Do the two pcap_open_live() calls influence the hardware in anyway and have side effects on each other or are they
bound to the handle and I can rely on the parameters I give to be set?
- Do the parameters influence pcap_sendpacket() in any way? From the documentation I assume that they are only for
capturing from that interface.

I haven't seen any issues with reading & writing on the same interface
with libpcap.  The two handles operate independently with one caveat:
Packets you send are likely to been seen on the way out by the
listening pcap handle so you may want to filter them out (perhaps
filtering on source MAC).

--
Aaron Turner
http://synfin.net/         Twitter: @synfinatic