tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: TCP Option 20 processed incorrectly?

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 20:02:55 -0700

On Jul 6, 2011, at 10:38 AM, Scott, Keith L. wrote:

The tcp.h file defines option 20 as 'Enhanced AUTH option' when I think it
should be 'SCPS Capabilities'.  I'd like to prepare and present a patch that
processes at least the initial option 20 correctly.  Does anyone know why 20
was chosen for Advanced Auth

The checkin comment (in Git, but this was done before tcpdump switched to Git) for the change to tcp.h was:

        commit 95f66c8c622d57b50443c4d40be8b00a7de0aa94
        Author: hannes <hannes>
        Date:   Tue Nov 29 09:07:47 2005 +0000

            add basic support for keyed authentication TCP option

Hannes, was that based on some Internet-Draft?  According to

        http://www.iana.org/assignments/tcp-parameters/tcp-parameters.xml

option 20 is, in fact, "SCPS Capabilities", which is presumably for the CCSDS Space Communications Protocol
Specification - Transport Protocol:

        http://public.ccsds.org/publications/archive/714x0b2.pdf

which is, apparently, "A set of TCP options and sender-side modifications to improve TCP performance in stressed
environments including long delays, high bit error rates, and significant asymmetries." - "The SCPS-TP options are TCP
options registered with the Internet Assigned Numbers Authority (IANA) and hence SCPS-TP is compatible with other
well-behaved TCP implementations.":

        https://secure.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/wiki/Space_Communications_Protocol_Specifications
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.