tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Suggestion: Pcap-over-IP client support in tcpdump

From: Michael Richardson <mcr () sandelman ca>
Date: Wed, 14 Sep 2011 09:56:11 -0400

"Erik" == Erik Hjelmvik <erik.hjelmvik () gmail com> writes:
    Erik> I've been using tcpdump and netcat to achieve what I call
    Erik> "Pcap-over-IP", as described here:
    Erik> http://www.netresec.com/?page=Blog&month=2011-09&post=Pcap-over-IP-in-NetworkMiner

    Erik> This is a very simple solution that allows me to capture
    Erik> network traffic from remote devices, such as firewalls etc.
    Erik> However, it would be even better if tcpdump would have native
    Erik> support for Pcap-over-IP so that I wouldn't have to use
    Erik> netcat.

    Erik> What do you guys think? Would it be relevant to implement a
    Erik> Pcap-over-IP client in tcpdump?

On your server side, you are, I think done.

What you want, on the client side, is the ability to open a socket.
Instead of doing that, we should permit -r to take something that it
feeds to popen().

Or, the other question is... why not use /dev/fd and some shell script?

--
] mcr () sandelman ottawa on ca http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.