tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap_loop - any other option that won't block while sniffing for infinite time

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 5 May 2011 12:18:30 -0700

On May 5, 2011, at 8:29 AM, Jeff Garrett wrote:

I want to be able to return from Step 2 and say "yes, sniffing was started
successfully" or "no there was an error".  I also want the sniffing to occur
infinitely, or until I say stop (via pcap_breakloop() function).
In addition, I want to be able to issue other calls, like getting the
received/dropped packets stats for the network device (which I have the code
for), and stopping the sniffing and printing the final statistics and
closing the handle to the device.

When will you be issuing the other calls?  Will that happen as a result of user input, timer expiration, or what?
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.