tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Recompile with different libpcap

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Jun 2011 12:22:06 -0700

On Jun 22, 2011, at 12:02 PM, Sanjay Sundaresan wrote:

I am trying to evaluate how tcpdump performs with different libpcap versions
and other packet capture libraries.

"Other packet capture libraries"?  Meaning "alternative implementations of the libpcap API" (the developers of which
are encouraged to contribute to the development of libpcap if they make performance improvements) or "libraries with
different APIs" (which will require changes to tcpdump)?

How do I re-compile TCPDUMP to work with a different libpacp ?

Probably the least difficult way would be to, for each version of libpcap:

        create a directory for each version of libpcap;

        have the libpcap source directory in a subdirectory of that directory;

        have the tcpdump source directory in another subdirectory of that directory, at the same level as the libpcap
directory;

        configure and build libpcap (no need to install it);

        configure and build tcpdump (which should use the libpcap underneath the same top-level directory, as long as
the libpcap directory is named either "libpcap" or "libpcap-[[0-9]]+\.[[0-9]]+(\.[[0-9]]*)?([[ab]][[0-9]]*|-PRE-GIT)?$"
(i.e., something that matches the pattern in question).-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.