tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: live capture Ethernet gives me zero-packets

From: Andrej van der Zee <andrejvanderzee () gmail com>
Date: Tue, 5 Apr 2011 12:37:02 +0900

Hi Guy,

Thanks for the email.

(No, the "any" device doesn't give you Ethernet packets, even if, at the
time you start the capture, the only interfaces on your machine are Ethernet
interfaces.  If you want to capture on a particular Ethernet device, use its
name, e.g. "eth0", in which case you'll presumably get packets that have
Ethernet headers - although you should probably check the value returned by
pcap_datalink() whenever you do any pcap_open call, including
pcap_open_offline() to read from a savefile, or when you do
pcap_create()/.../pcap_activate().)-

Indeed I assumed that since I have only ethernet interfaces that the
link-type for any would be EN10MB. Now I now this is false on Linux when
using "any".

Greets,
Andrej
-