tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Re: [tcpdump-workers]libpcap1.1.1 truncates UDP

From: Aaron Turner <synfinatic () gmail com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2011 09:28:55 -0700

2011/6/6 mold2010 <mold2010 () tom com>:
The root cause of this problem is found. It is because the MTU of the receiving NIC is set to 9000, which is greater
than 1500. Since some packets have ethernet FCS and trailer, that makes the packet has a 1520 whole size. The
tcpreplay can not recognize the FCS and trailer in the IP packet end, they are treated as part of IP layer, so the
1520 bytes packets can not be sent to the peer. I updated the sending side NIC MTU from 1500 to 9000 and did the same
to the receiving side NIC. But the hardware seems like do not support MTU more than 1500. So this strange problem is
seen.
After I changed the MTU back to 1500, everything works fine except the 1520 bytes packets can not be sent
successfully. I plan to make a tool to trim the FCS and trailer, so the 1520 bytes will not be an issue.
An interesting thing is after I set the MTU to 9000 for receiving side, every packet can be captured. Seems some kind
mechanism of Linux is invoked, no packets loss, just length cut. This is interesting.

I'm curious, have you tried tcprewrite's --efcs option?  If it doesn't
work, please open a ticket at http://tcpreplay.synfin.net and attach a
sample pcap.

--
Aaron Turner