tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Obtaining interface IP address and MAC address

From: roy hills <royhills () hotmail com>
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2011 10:46:38 +0000

The interfaces used to do both of the above are almost universal now:
SIOCGIFADDR and SIOCGIFHWADDR.

I don't think SIOCGIFHWADDR is supported on MacOS or Windows.

For MacOS and other BSD operating systems, I use sysctl with the MIB { CTL_NET, PF_ROUTE, 0, AF_LINK, NET_RT_IFLIST, 0
} and loop through the interfaces in the list until I find the one that I am using.

This works fine, but I'd rather not have to maintain my own system-specific link functions together with the autoconf
logic to select the correct one for the target OS.

                                          -
This is the tcpdump-workers list.