tcpdump mailing list archives

ipv6 DAD packets?

From: Jeff Sadowski <jeff.sadowski () gmail com>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 12:48:19 -0700

I'm trying to set something up like a ipv6 version of arp for now.
Final goal of my current project is to create a means of Dynamic DNS
with radvd (router advertisement deamon)
All I'm looking for with using tcpdump is an ipv6 address to mac
address mapping.
Thus I could verify every so often that the mac still has that ipv6
address with other methods.
It looks like the Duplicate Address Detection Packet may be an ICMPv6
but I couldn't figure out how to filter icmpv6
I tried "tcpdump ip6 and icmp" but it says im blocking all. How would
I do what I am trying to do?
I can't quite figure out tcpdump syntax.
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.