tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: help with RPM!!!

From: Glen Turner <gdt () gdt id au>
Date: Fri, 12 Nov 2010 15:15:18 +1030

On 11/11/10 22:48, Claudio Peldoza wrote:
hello, my english no very good, but try.
I need rpm libpcap 1.0.0 to centos 5.5.
may send the package to install on my server?.

Perhaps the easiest way to move to more recent software is to rebuild a libpcap package from Fedora on your CentOS 5.5 machine. This is something you'll get very used to when running RHEL+friends 5.5 and why people are happy that RHEL 6 has finally appeared.

Here is an example:

On a recent Fedora machine:
$ wget http://.../pub/fedora/linux/releases/14/Everything/source/SRPMS/libpcap-1.1.1-1.fc14.src.rpm
If you have not build RPMs on this machine before:
   # yum install rpmdevtools
   $ rpmdev-setuptree
Install the source code into ~/rpmbuild/
$ rpm -i libpcap-1.1.1-1.fc14.src.rpm

On a CentOS 5.5 machine:
If you have not build RPMs on this machine before:
   # yum install rpmdevtools
   $ fedora-buildrpmtree
Copy across the unpacked source code from the Fedora machine to the CentOS 5.5 machine.
$ scp -r 'fedora:rpmbuild/*' rpmbuild/
Build the RPM from the source code
# yum install bison flex bluez-libs-devel
$ cd ~/rpmbuild/SPECS
$ rpmbuild -ba libpcap.spec
You'll find the resulting .rpm under rpmbuild/RPMS.
$ cd ~/rpmbuild/RPMS/x86_64
$ ls libpcap*

To install that RPM on a CentOS 5.5 machine:
# yum --nogpgcheck localinstall libpcap-1.1.1-1.x86_64.rpm libpcap-devel-1.1.1-1.x86_64.rpm
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.