tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: bandwidth by user or process id

From: Phil Vandry <vandry () TZoNE ORG>
Date: Wed, 6 Oct 2010 15:06:15 -0400

On Wed, Oct 06, 2010 at 01:30:14AM -0700, Patrick Kurz wrote:
I was also slightly concerned about short-lived connections. But if the measured
bandwidth is accurate by 10%, it is sufficient for my use case.
What kind of applications do in general create such short-lived connections and
still produce considerable traffic (say, more than 100MB/hour)?

I dunno, maybe BitTorrent when it's quickly going through lots of potential
peers. But as Rob pointed out, even then the entries stick around for a
little while in the table in TIME_WAIT state so it's hard to miss them.

Very good suggestion. I'll learn more about iptables.
Do you know if this would also be able to distinguish the bandwidth consumed by
different users on the same shared socket (e.g. ssh) as Rob pointed out in the

It's rare for different processes belonging to different users to actually
share the same socket so I don't think you'd need to worry about that.
In the case of ssh, each new session has its own independant socket.