tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: reconstruct HTTP requests in custom sniffer

From: Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 18:56:25 +0000

On 2010-12-28 17:22, Andrej van der Zee wrote:
I am asked to write a custom sniffer with libpcap on Linux that has to
handle a load of 50.000 packets per second. The sniffer has to detect all
HTTP requests and dump the URI with additional information, such as request
size and possibly response time/size. The packets, destined for the
load-balancer, are duplicated by the switch using port-mirroring to my own
machine. It is important that our solution is 100% non-intrusive to the web
application being monitored.

Probably I need to access the POST data of certain HTTP requests. Because
HTTP requests are, obviously, broken into multiple packets, is it feasible
to reconstruct the whole HTTP request with POST data from multiple packets?

Regarding the load of 50.000 packets a second, is this expected to be a
problem?

Any feedback is very appreciated!

See urlsnarf:

http://monkey.org/~dugsong/dsniff/

I don't think it does POST data but it may be a good starting point.

--
Jefferson Ogata <Jefferson.Ogata () noaa gov>
National Oceanographic Data Center