tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Question about pcap

From: dragorn () kismetwireless net
Date: Wed, 29 Sep 2010 16:28:35 -0400

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 06:52:32PM +0300, Nick Echidna wrote:
Hello,
I'm developing a program using pcap. I manage to successfully sniff the
desired packets but I was wondering something that the man page doesn't make
clear.

Is it possible to block any specific network traffic? For example, block
traffic through a specific port, like a firewall does.

No.  You could write a tool which generates firewall rules depending on
how you wanted to react, however.

You could implement a purely userspace bridge between two interfaces and
filter that way, but you probably wouldn't want to.

-m