tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: pcap_dispatch on linux 2.6 with libpcap 1.1.1

From: Jim Lloyd <jlloyd () silvertailsystems com>
Date: Wed, 25 Aug 2010 08:55:09 -0700

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 2:14 AM, Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu> wrote:

On Aug 23, 2010, at 3:54 PM, Jim Lloyd wrote:

What is the relationship between the socket receive buffer and the
mmap buffer? Does the mmap buffer replace the socket receive buffer,

Yes.

Cool.

I currently have my primary testing
machine configured with

net.core.rmem_default = 4194304
net.core.rmem_max = 16777216

Do we expect the rmem_default setting to be significant or not?

No.

Yay!

Can you recommend any
traffic generators that can provide test traffic with SACKs?

Unfortunately, no.  (That doesn't mean they don't exist, it just means I
don't know what traffic generators are out there, or which of them provide
test traffic with SACKs.)

Ok, thanks anyway.  FYI I was able to generate some SACKs by sending my test
traffic through an open http proxy. I expect the SACKs I generated don't
really cover all possible scenarios, but at least I have raised confidence
now that we can handle the most common cases.

Is there any way to detect these kinds of drops with Linux? It looks like
the receive drops column in /proc/net/dev might be this count. Can you
confirm?

I was mistaken - on Linux, at least in libpcap 1.1.x, if you're capturing
in promiscuous mode, libpcap *does* fetch the drop count from /proc/net/dev
and put it into the ps_ifdrop field of the result of pcap_stats().  I don't
know why that's restricted to promiscuous mode.

That works for me!

Thanks Guy, these answers have been very helpful.

-Jim
-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.