tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Request for new DLT and LINKTYPE value

From: Guy Harris <guy () alum mit edu>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2010 11:25:24 -0700

On Apr 15, 2010, at 9:59 AM, Edgar, Thomas wrote:

After looking at how the pcap_set_datalink process works I think I have decided to keep my timing method as the
default COM interface datalink type.  But I will create it with the capability of setting the datalink type so that
you can force the proper framing if you know what protocol is present.  I will create framing for the three protocols
I am targeting and lay it out so others can be added.  With this approach you can up front choose the framing, as you
have suggested, and guarantee proper frames or you can allow Wireshark to try to figure out what protocol is present
via the heuristic dissectors if you do not know the protocol beforehand.

Does this fit your architecture?

That sounds reasonable.

So since this is just tapping a raw serial line, rather than tapping through an OS protocol implementation that might
prepend metadata, delete fields, reshape fields, etc., presumably the difference between what the protocol
specification lists and what will be in the packet is probably small.

So, for all of the following:

DNP3 Serial framing (DLT_DNP3 and LINKTYPE_DNP3)

Modbus RTU Framing (DLT_MODBUS and LINKTYPE_MODBUS)
SSCP Framing (In the process of making this protocol an IEEE standard which is the impetus for this work) (DLT_SSCP
and LINKTYPE_SSCP)

presumably there's a protocol specification somewhere.  Could you indicate how that specification can be obtained (even
if it costs money), and whether each packet will include all of the raw octets read from the serial line in the frame,
or whether any transformation would be done (for example, with HDLC framing, escaping is necessary for octets with the
same value as the frame delimiter or, as I remember, the escape octet value, which could be left intact or could be
removed)?

(I'm assuming that no transformation of the octets would be done for DLT_SERIAL/LINKTYPE_SERIAL, as you don't know what
the protocol is in that case.)-
This is the tcpdump-workers list.