tcpdump mailing list archives

Re: Display of packet direction and interface

From: Paul LeoNerd Evans <leonerd () leonerd org uk>
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2010 11:16:38 +0100

On Mon, Apr 12, 2010 at 03:57:22PM -0700, Darren Reed wrote:
the current libpcap record format has no way to record this information.

you might like to play around with pcap-ng.

OK. Then lets define a new record format.. Or use something existing;
pcap-ng looks at first glance like it has it.

I find it hard to believe this is the only reason tcpdump/libpcap don't
currently expose this information... At a first step, could we even just
display it on live captures and admit "we haven't defined a way yet to
write it to capture files so it won't work on record/replay"?

--
Paul "LeoNerd" Evans

leonerd () leonerd org uk
ICQ# 4135350       |  Registered Linux# 179460
http://www.leonerd.org.uk/